Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie
Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie is a cheesy and comforting meal to make when you need pizza on the fly!
We have pizza for dinner at least once a week.
Okay, maybe twice a week. Don’t judge.
Friday night is usually reserved for pizza either delivery or making our own on the grill. BUT! Sometimes I am at a loss on what to make for dinner on a random Wednesday night. You feel me?
So it comes down to tacos (again) or pizza. Well, to mix up the basic pizza situation I created this Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie. Basically it’s like an upside down pizza. Ohhhhhhh YES!
What’s in a Pepperoni Pizza Pot pie?
In this version I decided to sneak in some veggies for Charlie. The beauty of pizza is that you can swap out any of the ingredients! For this recipe you’ll find:
- pizza dough (*you can use store bought or homemade)
- bell peppers
- Italian sausage
- pizza sauce
- mozzarella + burrata
What makes it a “Pot Pie?”
Great question! For this recipe we are sauteing vegetables just like you would a chicken pot pie. Once the veggies (and meat) are cooked, you’ll add in the flour to thicken the mixture. Now, to make the veggie/meat mixture luxurious instead of stock we are going to add pizza sauce, garlic, and oregano. This will become the base of the “pot pie.” Cool, huh?
Once you’ve got your veggies/meat cooked and thickened, you’ll top it with the pizza dough. The dough just needs to cover the skillet. No need to be fancy here. A simple rustic crust will do!
After you’ve got the crust on the skillet add the pepperoni, cheese, and more cheese! Bake until golden brown and delicious!
How big of a skillet do I use?
A standard 10-inch or 12-inch oven safe skillet would be ideal. You could even make these into smaller portions by using ramekins!
Could I make this Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie ahead of time?
Yes! You could definitely make the veggie/meat mixture ahead of time. I would saute the veggies and meat then keep it in the fridge for up to a day. Once you are ready to make the pizza add the veggies/meat to the skillet to reheat and then coat them with the flour.
Favorite kind of Pizza Sauce?
Raos! I know it’s a bit more expensive, but if you don’t make your own there is no other pizza sauce worthy of making a pie!
Hope y’all enjoy this soup! If you make this Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie let me know in the comments below!
More Pizza Recipes to Enjoy:
- Baked Meatlover’s Pizza Taquitos
- White Mushroom Pizza
- Winters green and Pomegranate Pizza
- Greek Pizza Bagels
Pepperoni Pizza Pot Pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil + more for crust
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1/2 lb store bought pizza dough or homemade
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni
- 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 cup burrata
- fresh basil, for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, preheat a 10-inch or 12-inch oven-safe skillet to medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the broccoli and bell pepper. Cook the veggies for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Next, add the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Place the sausage in the skillet with the veggies and using a wooden spoon break up the sausage and cook until no longer pink about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour until and stir until the sausage and vegetables are well coated. Add in the garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in the pizza sauce. If the mixture feels a little too thick add in a splash of water to help make the mixture stir-able. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Roll out your pizza dough into a large circle or large enough to cover the skillet.
- Top the sausage/veggie mixture with the mozzarella and then place the pizza dough over the skillet. Again it doesn’t have to be fancy!
- Brush the dough with olive oil, add the pepperoni on top followed by Parmesan and burrata! Bake until the crust is golden about 30 minutes. Remove from oven to cool slightly and then serve!