Life is one giant roller coaster of emotions.

Over the past couple of days, I’ve gone from feeling excited to anxious to disappointed and back to excited. In the “Emotional Monopoly” game, I have already passed GO and collected $200, twice. 
But there’s a good reason why I’m on this roller coaster, and it all started last Thursday. My in-laws, Chuck and Susie, landed in Denver on Thursday afternoon planning on spending the weekend with Mr. B and yours truly. We had big plans of barbecuing, shopping, and four wheeling in the mountains.You know, the basic Colorado spring adventure. Well, life had other plans.
As Chuck and Susie hopped into their rental car and pulled onto I-70, they received a phone call from Scott (Mr.B’s youngest brother) telling them that Jessica had been admitted to the hospital. She was in labor. To make a long story short, over the next ten hours operation “get Chuck and Susie to Tulsa” was in full affect.  We re-booked flights, changed hotel reservations, and managed to squeeze in a dinner all before they took off the next day. Thankfully everything worked out because Gabriella Reese Grier was born on Friday morning and they were able to see her ten tiny fingers and toes! 

Emotional roller coaster number two happened this afternoon. My brother John and sister-in-law Sarah (we call her Kitty) were scheduled to be at the hospital this evening because they were going induce Kitty. I was planning on calling them this afternoon to make sure they were okay and to see if they needed me to do anything. After operation Tulsa, I figured you can do darn near anything even if you live 600 miles away. Needless to say, I was emotionally prepared. Or at least that’s what I told myself. 
As I was driving to work this morning, my mother texted me, “Morning! Kitty is dilated to 5 after the pit drip. Doing real well, not in any pain. Dr. is going to give them a break – told them to try and sleep for two hours.” Do wha? I immediately called my mother back and insisted she give me all the details. Is Kitty okay? How long until the baby is born? Do I need to book a flight home today? Is John still conscious? I was ready for operation ‘Kansas City’ to commence. 

My mother, being the ever so calm one in our family, told me to relax and assured me there was nothing I could do. Nothing I could do? Pssshhhh. I told her I would text John and make sure he was okay because I was feeling anxious about the whole situation.

I texted John and Kitty, “Sending both of you lots of love and prayers.” I didn’t think I would get a response, but John texted back immediately, ” Thanks sis. She’s pushing now!” HOLY BATMAN! I thought to myself. I texted back to him, “YAY!! Love you guys!”

The next fours hours were b-r-u-t-a-l. You have to keep in mind that this is the first grandchild for my parents as well as the first great-grandchild. Every single member of the Wurth family has been waiting patiently for this little bundle of joy to arrive. Once I knew Kitty was pushing, I started pacing in my office. (Side story: before I walked down the aisle I paced up and down the church hallways with my Dad. For some reason it calms me.) I was nervous, but full excitement. I am pretty sure I glanced at my phone every four seconds to make sure I didn’t miss an update.

Around 2pm, I finally received a text (um, for the record, thank the lord for texting!) with a picture from John, “Meet Josie June Wurth. Mom and baby are doing fine. Will call soon EXHAUSTED!” Phew.

After that text I took a deep breath.  What a huge relief! Successful birth numero dos. As I left work, I have never felt such joy for both John and Kitty, and Scott and Jessica. Both of their babies are happy and healthy, and that’s all that matters.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s time to exit this emotional roller coaster and pack up a few favorite Aunt onesies. I have some traveling to do!