Butter Turkey Meatball Subs
Butter Turkey Meatball Subs are an easy and delicious meal to make during the week or for game day!
I have an affection for balls.
MEAT-balls that is.
Wait. That still doesn’t sound right.
What I’m trying to say is I’m that person who orders a meatball sandwich at a sandwich shop. Yep, I fully know it’s the worst caloric item to order off the menu, but hey, I’m not trying to be like Jared. Also, let’s be real the meatball sandwich is far better than the tuna salad. Tuna salad lovers are a very special breed. Seriously, how can one enjoy the liquid tuna? I rest my case.
Anyway, my love for the meatball sandwich is best described by Jim Gaffigan. Basically it’s like eating five burgers. If you flattened each meatball you would end up with a burger, no? And you guys know how much I love a good, juicy burger! So it’s only natural that I would gravitate towards the meatball sub because who wants to eat a cold, boring turkey sandwich anyway?
Which is how I got to today’s beautiful meatball creation. Don’t get me wrong I love a classic marinara sub, but I feel like sandwich shops should add a little variety to their menu. Um, like this Butter Turkey Meatball Sub. This east meets west sub is packing some serious flavor. Garam Masala, fresh ginger, curry powder, turmeric and coconut milk are just a few ingredients that jazz up these meatballs.
One you’ve got the meatballs cooked, simply stuff them into some buttery rolls, and slide them under the broil to let the cheese melt. Lord have mercy. These bad boys will be in your regular ball rotation. I mean meatball rotation. Send help.
Butter Turkey Meatball Subs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 14oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 brioche sub rolls or any hoagie roll
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, panko, salt and pepper. Combine the ingredients making sure to not over mix. Next, using a one-inch sized ice cream scoop, scoop out roughly 12 meatballs and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for about 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet preheated to medium-high heat, add the olive oil onion, garlic and ginger. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes. Next, stir in the garam masala, curry powder, turmeric and cayenne. Let it cook for a minute.
- Add in the tomato paste and coconut milk. Keep stirring until everything is well combined. Reduce the heat to medium low. You want the sauce to thicken a little. Once thicken stir in the sour cream and butter.
- Then toss the meatballs into the skillet and toss them in the sauce. Turn on the heat. Take a roll and stuff about three meatballs into the center. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella on top. Repeat process with remaining rolls.
- Place the rolls onto another baking sheet and set under the broiler until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from broiler and garnish with cilantro.
adapted from Half Baked HarvestAll images and text ©
In conclusion, our Butter Turkey Meatball Subs offer a delightful twist on a classic favorite. With their rich, savory flavors, they’re a delicious choice for indulging in a satisfying meal. Enjoy every bite!