Fried Chicken Shawarma Sandwich
This Fried Chicken Shawarma Sandwich is tender, juicy, and perfectly fried with a mixture of allspice, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. It was worthy of my birthday dinner – so you know it must be good!
Life is better with fried chicken, don’t you think?
Have you ever met someone that doesn’t like fried chicken? It’s like saying you don’t like tacos. Or puppies. Or chocolate cake. Okay, maybe that’s just me, but if I could live off fried chicken without zero consequences I would be a happy girl.
My birthday is TOMORROW (in case you had forgotten – wink, wink), and I wish I could FedEx a plate of Fried Chicken and Biscuits from our restaurant in Manhattan to celebrate the big 33.
If you haven’t been to Bourbon and Baker nestled in the Flint Hills of Kansas then you are truly missing out. Their buttermilk biscuit topped with fried chicken smothered in cream gravy and honey hot sauce is almost better than a miracle. Don’t tell JC I told you that!
But since I can’t sink my teeth into Bourbon and Baker’s fried chicken, I will just have to make some myself. And I decided to channel my love for chicken shawarma and infuse those flavors into the ultimate fried chicken shawarma sandwich.
How to Make a Chicken Shawarma Sandwich
I have a killer 15-minute skillet fried chicken that is my go-to when I need a plate of golden, fried chicken on the fly. But for my birthday I wanted to step up my game.
YOU GUYS! I may have hit the chicken shawarma jackpot with this recipe because OH MY GERSH. This sandwich is tender, juicy, and crispy, with a spice mixture that is birthday worthy.
First, let’s make the chicken shawarma spice. You can make a batch of this mixture and keep it on hand for other recipes too. Just combine two teaspoons cumin, one teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. For this recipe, we’ll add flour, salt and pepper to the mix.
In another large bowl mix together buttermilk, egg, lemon juice, and chicken thighs. Let the chicken thighs soak for at least 15 minutes.
Next, take the chicken thighs, shake off the excess buttermilk, and dredge them through the flour and shawarma spice mixture.
Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add the chicken thighs and fry on the first side for about five minutes. Flip, and continue to cook for another four minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove the chicken and drain on a paper towel.
To serve, take a hamburger bun and place the chicken thigh on the bottom. Add red onion, lettuce, tomato slices, and greek yogurt sauce. Top with remaining bun and enjoy.
You could also turn this into a chicken shawarma wrap – just use a tortilla or pita instead of a bun.
Now, who wants a bite?
Fried Chicken Shawarma Sandwich
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- pinch of lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- Red onion slices, garnish
- Butter lettuce, garnish
- Tomato slices, garnish
- Greek Yogurt Sauce, garnish
- In a large bowl mix together the buttermilk, egg, lemon juice, and chicken thighs. Let the chicken thighs soak in the buttermilk mixture for at least 15 minutes.
- In another large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cumin, paprika, allspice, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Take the chicken thigh, shake off the excess buttermilk, and dredge it through the flour. Repeat process with remaining three chicken thighs.
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the chicken thighs and fry on the first side about five minutes. Flip, and continue to cook for another four minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from skillet and drain the chicken on a paper towel.
- To serve, take a hamburger bun and place the chicken thigh on the bottom. Garnish top of the chicken with red onion, butter lettuce, tomato slices, and greek yogurt sauce. Top with remaining bun and serve.