Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes
Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes are a delicious and easy meal to prepare using fresh or canned crab meat!
Growing up in a land-locked state we always had to get creative when it came to sourcing seafood.
A majority of the seafood is either frozen or from a can. Not the sexiest way to consume shrimp or lobster, but at least we had an option!
Anyway, I wanted to take a classic seafood dish like crab cakes and give them a Midwestern spin. Yes, the crab meat is sourced from a can, but I promise you won’t be able to tell the difference because these Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes are loaded with flavor.
So, are you ready to make some tasty crab cakes?
What is in these Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes?
The inspiration behind these crab cakes comes from the traditional jalapeno popper. With a bit more spice, these Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes are not to be missed. For this recipe you will need:
Lump crab meat
Tips for Making these Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes:
1) Crab Meat. If you are using canned crab meat try to purchase lump crab meat. It’s thicker and more meatier. BUT! It is more expensive so if you need to use regular canned crab meat that’s okay.
2) Panko. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups, but you may need more depending on how wet your crab cake mixture is. You want it to be moist, but not soggy. The goal is to make sure the crab cakes get nice and crispy in the skillet without falling apart.
3) Heat. You will have to keep an eye on your skillet heat. Ideally you want medium-high, but depending on your skillet and oil temp you will need to adjust to ensure the crab cakes don’t burn.
Can I make them Gluten Free?
Yes! Please substitute the panko breadcrumbs for gluten free panko.
Can I make these Vegan?
You bet! Instead of regular mayo you can replace it with vegan mayonnaise.
More Seafood Recipes to Enjoy:
- One Skillet Tuscan Shrimp
- Baked Za’atar Fish Sticks and Chips
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil
- Green Goddess Tuna Salad
Jalapeno Popper Crab Cakes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
- 1 lb lump or regular canned crab meat
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded, and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, green onions, eggs, and Dijon mustard.
- Fold in the corn, crab meat, and jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the panko and fold to combine. If you need to add more panko to the mixture to get it from being super soggy that’s okay!
- Form 8 (4-inch) patties. Preheat a skillet with the olive oil to medium heat. Add the crab cakes to the skillet only 4 at a time. Cook until golden on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- Repeat process until all crab cakes are cooked.
- Serve grab cakes with sour cream, extra jalapenos, and green onions if desired.