Roasted Veggie Za’atar Bowls with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
Roasted Veggie Za’atar Bowls is a flavor-packed Middle Eastern-inspired vegetarian dish loaded with protein-rich vegetables, warm, earthy spices, and a drizzling of Lemon Yogurt Sauce for a refreshingly tangy kick! A nutritious vegetable side dish that you can easily make using a pan and a bowl, and is roasted and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Just look at this stunning bowl chockfull of golden roasted veggies and fresh toppings! I love vegetables when they are raw, steamed, or even sautéed. But oven-roasted veggies are just irresistible with their crisp golden edges and caramelized surfaces.
This delicious recipe is similar to my Roasted Veggie Shawarma Bowls. I used the same combo of cauliflower florets, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes but this time, I tossed them in a sensational Za’atar seasoning and used a zesty lemon yogurt dressing instead of the usual shawarma spices and sauce. And when you add the feta crumbles and fresh garnishes to the equation- you’ll have a phenomenal veggie bowl that is downright delicious and healthy to boot!
What is Za’atar Seasoning?
This is a blend of Middle Eastern herbs and spices that lends any dish a robust, exotic flavor. The composition may vary depending on the brand you are using, but it is mostly made of dried oregano, marjoram, and thyme plus a spice called Sumac which has a sharp tangy taste, similar to lemons. With its deep crimson color, most mistake it as spicy, but it is actually not. Za’atar also has toasted sesame seeds which give it a smoky and nutty flavor.
A quick trip to your local farmer’s market will get you everything you need to make a Roasted Veggie Za’atar Bowl. If you cannot find Za’atar seasoning, don’t worry. You can make a homemade version of this quite easily. Find out how below.
- Vegetables- I used cauliflower cut into small florets, a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed and a medium-sized sweet potato cut into small cubes. However, feel free to swap or add more veggies that you like.
- Za’atar seasoning– You will find this at any local spice shop, seasoning aisle in grocery stores or you can order it online on Amazon. In case you do not have one, just mix some lemon zest, thyme, marjoram, oregano, toasted sesame seed, and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground to taste
- Olive oil
- Homemade dressing- a mix of Greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, and garlic cloves will make a creamy, zesty, and invigorating sauce!
- Garnishes- I love topping the veggie bowls with fresh cucumbers, grape tomatoes, red cabbage, and feta crumbles. They definitely add tons of freshness and texture to the dish.
How to Make Roasted Veggie Za’atar Bowls with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
Season, roast, make the sauce, and assemble! You will have the veggies ready for the oven in just a few minutes. While waiting for them to roast, you can make the sauce and prep the bowls. You’ll have it ready in no time at all!
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season the Veggies. Spread the cauliflower, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes evenly onto the baking sheet then season them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Za’atar seasoning.
- Roast. Roast the veggies for about 20 to 25 minutes, tossing midway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the dressing. While waiting, make the lemon yogurt sauce by combining greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble and serve! Place the lettuce on a plate or bowl, top with roasted veggies, garnishes, and drizzle with lemon yogurt sauce. Serve and enjoy!
There are so many ways to customize this dish by swapping or adding ingredients. You can also easily modify it to fit certain dietary requirements.
- Use other vegetables. Aside from cauliflower, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes, you can try roasting other veggies like broccoli, bell peppers, eggplants, asparagus, potatoes, carrots, brussels sprouts, squash, etc.
- Add grains. If you want to make it more substantial, you can also make this with quinoa, brown rice, or wild rice.
- Make it vegan. Turn this vegetarian dish into a plant-based meal by using dairy-free yogurt made from cashew, soy, or oats and omit the feta crumbles.
- Add a touch of heat. If you like your Roasted Veggie Za’atar Bowls on the fiery side, add chili powder or chili flakes. You can also garnish them with jalapenos.
- Meat up! This recipe is already abundant with plant proteins, but you can always add meats like sausages, bacon bits, and shredded chicken for a heartier lunch or dinner.
- Cut the sweet potatoes and florets into equal sizes to make sure they roast evenly.
- There is no need to peel the skin off the sweet potatoes as they are thin and edible. This will save you lots of prep time!
- Pat the veggies dry before roasting them. Wet or damp vegetables will create steam in the oven and will make them soggy instead of golden and crisp.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. The veggies should be evenly spaced apart to allow them as much surface heat as possible.
You can store the roasted veggies in the fridge for up to four days in a lidded container. It is better if you do not add the dressing yet to keep the veggies as tender-crisp as possible while they are stored. You can reheat the veggies using your microwave or oven, then assemble them into bowls and add the sauce right before serving. I do not recommend freezing them because the texture won’t be the same after reheating.
Roasted Veggie Za’atar Bowls with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1 small Head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 14oz Can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp Za’atar seasoning
- Kosher salt and pepper ot taste
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- Cucumbers, for garnish
- Grape tomatoes, for garnish
- Red cabbage, for garnish
- Feta crumbles, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the cauliflower, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes evenly onto the baking sheet.
- Next, top the veggies with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Za’atar seasoning. Toss to combine. Roast the veggies for about 20 to 25 minutes, tossing midway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the lemon yogurt sauce by combining greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- To serve: place the lettuce on a plate or bowl, top with roasted veggies, garnishes and drizzle with lemon yogurt sauce. Serve and enjoy!