Easy Tahini Hot Chocolate
Easy Tahini Hot Chocolate is a cozy, comforting twist on classic hot chocolates. Made with whole milk, tahini, dark chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Stir everything together and enjoy!
Nothing warms you up better than a cup of hot chocolate.
Did you know that making homemade hot chocolate is super easy to make? All you need is a handful of ingredients like whole milk, cocoa powder, and honey. You’ll whisk everything together in a saucepan, serve warm, and enjoy.
The homemade hot chocolate version I am sharing today is actually made with a surprise ingredient: tahini. Tahini is great and so versatile. I’ve made a few dishes on the blog that require tahini – homemade hummus, tahini chai pancakes, strawberry and peach tahini cake, and now this Tahini Hot Chocolate.
Ready to dive in and warm up? Let’s go!
What is Tahini Hot Chocolate
First of all, Tahini is a paste made from toasted, ground sesame seeds. It is a staple in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. Tahini has a rich, nutty flavor and a creamy texture. Second, tahini is the perfect accompaniment to chocolate so it makes for a wonderful addition when making homemade Tahini Hot Chocolate
Where Can I Buy Tahini
Tahini can be purchased at your local grocery store. Look for it near the baking section or peanut butter aisle.
Ingredients to Make Tahini Hot Chocolate
Only a few ingredients stand in your way of making homemade tahini hot chocolates. You will need the following ingredients to make a perfect cup of hot chocolate:
- Whole milk (or any plant-based milk works too)
- Cocoa powder
- Honey or maple syrup
- Ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- Dark chocolate chips
How to Make Tahini Hot Chocolates
Making homemade hot chocolate couldn’t be easier. With only a few simple steps, you will be able to sip a luxurious cup of hot chocolate right in your home.
- In a medium saucepan, add milk, cocoa powder, honey, tahini, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and gently whisk until all the ingredients are combined.
- Once warmed through, add the chocolate chips. Keep stirring until the chocolate has dissolved and the hot chocolate is smooth. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Divide the tahini hot chocolate between two or three cups and garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
Variations for Tahini Hot Chocolate
Tahini can add a unique and delicious twist to traditional hot chocolate. Here are some variations for making tahini hot chocolates:
Mint Tahini Hot Chocolate: Follow the basic recipe and add a few drops of peppermint extract or a handful of fresh mint leaves.
Orange Tahini Hot Chocolate: Follow the basic recipe and add 1 tsp of orange zest or a few drops of orange extract.
Cardamom Tahini Hot Chocolates: Follow the basic recipe and add 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
If you have leftover Tahini Hot Chocolates or if you want to make it ahead of time, here’s how you can properly store it:
Refrigeration: Allow the hot chocolate to cool to room temperature before transferring it to airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Freezing: You can freeze Tahini Hots Chocolates for longer storage. Pour the cooled hot chocolate into an airtight, freezer-safe container. Label the container with the date for reference and freeze it for up to 1-2 months.
Thawing and Reheating: When ready to use, thaw the frozen hot chocolate in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stovetop over low to medium heat, stirring frequently to ensure even warming.
Easy Tahini Hot Chocolates
- 3 cups Whole milk
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp Honey (*add more if you want it sweeter)
- 2 tsp Tahini
- 1/8 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Dark chocolate chips
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, add the milk, cocoa powder, honey, tahini, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Stir to combine and bring to medium heat.
- Next, stir in the dark chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Taste the hot chocolate and add more honey or tahini if desired. The more honey you add the sweeter it will taste. Once warmed through divide the hot chocolate between two cups. Top each cup with whipped cream and enjoy!
In summary, Easy Tahini Hot Chocolates is a delightful twist on the classic winter drink. With its fusion of rich tahini and comforting chocolate, this simple recipe adds a touch of sophistication to a beloved tradition, making it a perfect treat for chilly days.