Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso is a cheesy, flavorful dip that’s perfect for game day or any time you have a cheesy craving!
A five letter word that instantly makes people happy.
If you set a plate of hot queso in front of someone and they frown…….RUNNNNN and take the queso with you because you should no longer be friends with that person.
Okay, in all fairness, maybe they frowned because they haven’t had this Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso. I mean, one bite would turn any frown upside down. This cheesy, flavorful filled dip is best consumed on game day. Wait. Best consumed any day.
So, I say we get started and make this cheesy dip a total touchdown!
What’s in this Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso?
Everything I love in life! But seriously, who doesn’t love queso? With that you will need the following ingredients to make this Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso:
- Velveeta (Yup.)
- Black Beans
- Green Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Diced Tomatoes
- Hot Sauce
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso:
- Slow Cooker. I would recommend using a 5 quart slow cooker. I love my All-Clad because it has a warm setting once a dish is done cooking. Pro tip: spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray to keep the cheese from sticking.
- Velveeta. I know, I know. It’s processed cheese. However, it makes the best cheesy dip on the planet. If you want to use regular cheese go for it.
- Milk. In the recipe it calls for 1/4 cup of milk. However, if you want a more liquid based dip I would add in another 1/4 cup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I add a protein to this queso?
Absolutely! I would try ground beef, pork, chicken, or chorizo (my personal fav.)!
What kind of topping would you serve with this Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso?
So many options. Best toppings to offer would be: sour cream, pico de gallo, jalapenos, sour cream, fresh cilantro, diced white onions, and avocados.
What are some dipping vehicles to use besides chips?
I would try using radishes, mini peppers, carrots, celery, or even cactus.
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
You bet. I would make it an hour before any quests arrive and just keep it on the warm setting. Stir as needed
Do I have to make this in the slow cooker?
Nope! You can certainly make this in the oven as well.
More Delicious Game Day Recipes to Try:
- Pickleback Baked Chicken Wings
- Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms
- Pulled BBQ Chicken Toasts with Smoky Corn Bacon
- Pineapple Chicken French Breads with Rum Cheese Sauce
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Queso
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup Diced green pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 14.5oz Can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 16oz Block of velveeta cheese
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 15.5oz Can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp Hot sauce
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican style cheese
- Avocado, salsa, jalapenos, sour cream, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large skillet preheated to medium-high heat add the olive oil. Saute the onion and green pepper until softened about five minutes. Stir in the cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. Continue to cook for another minute.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Scrape the onion-pepper mixture into the slow cooker followed by the diced tomatoes, velveeta, and milk. Cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2 hours.
- Next, stir in the black beans, cilantro, and hot sauce until well combined. Add in the shredded Mexican cheese and stir to combine. Once melted either keep the queso in the slow cooker or pour the queso into a serving bowl and top with garnishes and serve with tortilla chips.