Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken Wings with Shishito Peppers
Fire your grill and make these Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings for game day, movie night, or as yummy appetizers for a backyard BBQ party! These flavor-packed grilled chicken wings are paired with roasted Shishito Peppers to give them an accompanying punch of heat that is out of this world delicious!
Nachos, dips, and of course, wings!
These are some of my go-to’s when I am in need of quick snacks or appetizers that can feed a hungry crowd. They are delectable finger foods that you can make in a jiffy! And one of my final hurrahs this summer is making these Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken Wings with Shishito Peppers! I am not turning my back on my yummy Bourbon-Glazed Wings and Pickleback Baked Chicken Wings at all. But I figured I might as well give my oven a break (I will be getting back with it this holiday season for sure) and take advantage of the remaining sunshiny days to use my grill to cook these babies up!
Finger-lickin’ Grilled Chicken Wings
Tangy, garlicky wings accompanied with roasted peppers are a surefire way to make your summer even hotter! The wings are marinated in garlic-infused lemon juice to then grilled to give them a layer of smoky flavor. I used the marinate juice for the shishitos before grilling them alongside the chicken. And they turned out beautifully blistered, sweetly tender, and tongue-tingling delicious!
You are only 8 ingredients away from making these yummy snacks! All you have to do is grab the wings and peppers, and the rest should be in your pantry.
- Chicken wings- you can use wingettes or drumettes for this recipe. Select those that have pinkish, springy flesh for the best results!
- Shishito peppers- these are slender, finger-like Asian green peppers that are mildly spicy. They are considered to be spicier than bell peppers but milder than jalapenos. When roasted, they develop a sweeter taste and smoky flavor.
- Lemon- you will use both the juice and zest for this recipe. These not only give the wings a bright, tangy flavor but also tenderizes the meat and make them juicy.
- Garlic- I used 5 cloves for this recipe, giving it a nice garlicky punch!
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground -to taste.
- Fresh parsley- for garnishing.
What other peppers can I use?
If you cannot find shishito peppers, you can use pardon peppers instead. They have the same spice level and are almost identical, but these originated from Spain. Red bell peppers are your best bet if you like to use milder ones. However, if you want them fiery, try using jalapenos or Serrano peppers instead.
How to Make Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are one of the easiest finger food you can make. And this recipe is no exemption! You can even marinate the wings the night before so you can go straight to grilling the next day!
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Spray a veggie basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make the marinade. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Reserve 2 tbsp of the mixture and place in another bowl.
- Marinate the wings. Place the chicken wings on a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade in. Seal the bag and make sure the meat is evenly coated. Place the bag in the fridge for about 30 minutes overnight for better flavoring. Remove the marinated wings from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Prepare the peppers. Get the bowl with the reserved marinade and place the shishitos in. Toss to combine, and then add the peppers to the prepared veggie basket.
- Grill and serve! Grill the wings and shishito peppers for about 15 minutes. Turn the wings and peppers halfway through. Remove from the grill and let rest before serving and garnish with parsley.
- Always grill your meat at room temperature. This will result in evenly cooked meat that is crisp on the outside and tender and juicy inside.
- Grease the grill grates before placing the wings on top to help prevent them from sticking. This will also help give you those nice grill marks.
- Preheating the grill is important! The hot surface kills any bacteria that might be there and will give the wings a good sear.
- Let the chicken grill for a few minutes undisturbed. The key to evenly grilled, intact meat is to flip them only once!
- Invest in a grill basket to keep the peppers and any small items you plan to grill from falling through the grates and creating a flareup.
Start at least an hour early before grilling to have time to prep and marinate. The lemon garlic wings are delicious after 30 minutes in the marinate, but they are spectacular when soaked overnight! Marinating them overnight gives them more flavor. It will only take you about 5 minutes to do this, so I recommend taking time to do so before bedtime! However, do not keep them soaking for more than 2 days, as the meat will start to break down from acid from the lemon juice.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I grill with the lid on or off? If you are using charcoal, grill with the lid off to keep the air flowing. These will keep the coals steadily scorching, but you need to keep an eye out to ensure they do not overcook and flip when needed.
- I do not have a grill basket, what can I use? You can create a rectangular pan using aluminum foil by folding the edges. Poke holes into it to allow the smoke and heat to get through.
- Can I bake them instead? Sure! Bake them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- I do not have an outdoor grill, what can I use instead? A grill pan will also work. Just preheat the pan in the oven before cooking the wings and peppers!
Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings with Shishito Peppers
- 2 lbs Chicken wings – mixture of wingettes or drumettes
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Grated lemon zest
- 5 cloves Garlic, grated
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb Shishito peppers
- 2 tbsp Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Reserve 2 tbsp of the marinade in another bowl.
- Next, add the chicken wings to a large zip lock bag and pour the marinade over the chicken wings. Close the bag and place it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to overnight for better flavoring.
- Remove the wings from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature while you preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Also, spray a veggie basket with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the reserved marinade and shishito peppers. Toss to combine and then add the shishito peppers to the prepared veggie basket.
- Grill the wings and shisito peppers for about 15 minutes; turning the wings midway through. The shishito peppers might cook quicker depending on your grill so be prepared to remove them prior to the wings being done. Remove the wings and shishito peppers from the grill and let rest before serving and garnishing with parsley.