Ultimate Lamb Chili
The Ultimate Lamb Chili is a fully flavored, one-pot dish that is wonderful to make all year round. Made with American ground lamb, spices, vegetables, tomatoes, and stock. This chili is low-carb and ready in 30 minutes! Top with your favorite garnishes and enjoy!
*This post is in partnership with the American Lamb Board. As always, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.*
Fall activities. What’s your favorite?
A few of my fall favorite activities are apple picking, pumpkin patch perusing, leaf peeping, and tailgating. However, I do look forward to making recipes from all the fall produce like Apple & Poblanco Gnocchi, Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts, Burrito Honeynut Squash Boats, and this Ultimate Lamb Chili.
With that, I’m taking all the fall activities and combining them into one experience. What I’m talking about is setting up a picnic. Spoiler alert: said picnic doesn’t have to be far away. In fact, I decided to make a festive spread right in my backyard.
First order of business for your fall themed picnic is a plaid blanket. I found this beauty at a local vintage store and fell in love with all the colors. Second, you need refreshments which means crisp, autumn themed ales. Third, fall decor because one can never have too many pumpkins. Fourth, a football to keep you entertained! And last, but not least, food.
Now, when it comes to selecting food for your fall picnic keep it simple. I decided to make a big batch of Ultimate Lamb Chili. The base of chili is award winning (like office chili cook-off award winning), but with the addition of the American ground lamb gives this chili an extra edge of delicious goodness.
Why Use American Ground Lamb
I used American ground Lamb in this recipe because it’s lean, nutrient-rich and ideal for making a lot of dishes, but they are truly magnificent and used as the main ingredient for this popular chili dish. Aside from the fact that they are one of the most delicious types of protein out there, they are also packed with an array of essential nutrients such as zinc, iron, selenium, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamins B6 and B12.
Ingredients you Need to Make this Ultimate Lamb Chili Recipe
- Olive oil – for cooking the ground lamb
- Ground lamb – American lamb is available to meet a range of preferences—from natural or organic lamb to lamb that has been exclusively grass-fed or grain-finished. You can find local ground lamb using their Lamb locator on their website.
- Fresh garlic cloves – adds flavor to the chili
- Veggies – green bell peppers and yellow onion add a texture and crunch
- Chili beans – vary the types of chili bean heat. I use a mixture of mild, medium and hot!
- Beef broth (or chicken stock) – flavorful liquid to the chili
- Stewed tomatoes – make the chili taste like you’ve cooked it for hours
- Chile powder – adds spice, but not heat
- Celery seed – the key to making this chili a winner
- Paprika – another form of spice, but without the heat
- Cumin – provides a smoky, depth of flavor.
How to Make Ultimate Lamb Chili
- Preheat a large Dutch oven to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Next, add the garlic with onions and green peppers. Sauté the vegetables for about five minutes.
- Once vegetables have softened, add ground lamb. Cook the lamb until it’s no longer pink. Add all spices, tomatoes, beans, beef broth, and bring to a simmer.
- Once bubbling turn heat back to low, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Divide the chili among large bowls and serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Lamb Chili Topping Suggestions
The great thing about chili (besides transporting a single pot) is the toppings! You can add whatever you would like, but I highly recommend:
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
- Sour cream or dollop of yogurt
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce
- Tortilla chips
- White onion
- Lime juice
- Avocado slices
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this lamb chili in the slow cooker? Absolutely. While I love making this recipe on the stovetop, this chicken chili can also easily be made in your crockpot or slow cooker. To make crockpot white chicken chili, combine all of the ingredients in your crock and set it to cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours.
Do I need to drain the chili beans? This is important, as just about all canned beans come in a thickish brine. This extra liquid will thin out your chili and can add an odd flavor. Draining canned beans is easy! You can do it using a colander under some cold water, or crack the lid of the can a smidge and then pour out the liquid while the beans are still inside.
How to Store Lamb Chili
To store the lamb chili, let the chili cool completely, then refrigerate it airtight for up to five days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How to Freeze Lamb Chili
You can also freeze this lamb chili, which is SO nice. I love doubling up the recipe so I can stash some in the freezer for last-minute dinners!
To freeze, let the chili cool and transfer it to a freezer-safe container. Label, date, and freeze for up to three months. Defrost in the fridge before reheating and serving.
More Lamb Recipes to Enjoy:
- Grilled Steakhouse Lamb Pizza
- Lamb Lasagna Crostini
- Greek Grilled American Lamb Shoulder Chops
- Skillet Huevos Rancheros with Ground Lamb
Ultimate Lamb Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs American ground lamb
- 2 15oz medium spiced cans chili beans, drained
- 1 15oz mild spiced can chili beans, drained
- 2 15oz stewed tomato cans
- 5 to 6 cups Beef stock or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- sour cream, for garnish
- cheddar cheese, for garnish
- jalapenos, for garnish
- cornbread, for garnish
- Preheat a large pot to medium heat and the olive oil. Next, add the garlic with onions and green peppers. Sauté the vegetables for about five minutes.
- Once vegetables have softened, add ground the lamb. Cook the lamb until it's no longer pink. Add all spices, tomatoes, beans, beef stock, and bring to simmer.
- Once bubbling turn heat back to low, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
In conclusion, our Ultimate Lamb Chili offers a hearty and soul-warming culinary experience. With its rich fusion of flavors and spices, it’s the perfect choice for a comforting and satisfying meal. Enjoy every spoonful!