Yucatan-Inspired Fish Tacos
Yucatan Inspired Fish Tacos are an easy and delicious meal made in the slow cooker and bursting with flavor thanks to the achiote paste!
If you stop by our house on any given night, you’ll always find a batch of taco meat in our fridge.
We eat tacos probably three times a week. Oh yes, we don’t just stop at Tuesday.
However, as warmer weather starts become more consistent, I want to mix up our ground beef routine for something a little fresher. Enter: Yucatan Inspired Fish Tacos!
Made entirely in the slow cooker and bursting with flavor. Don’t believe me? Let’s see what all the fuss is about!
What’s in these Yucatan Inspired Fish Tacos:
These fish tacos are a dream. Not only is the sauce mixture pack incredible flavor, but these tacos are no fuss thanks to the slow cooker. Just set it and forget it.
For this recipe you’ll need:
- White fish
- Achiote paste
- Orange juice
- White vinegar
Tips for Making these Yucatan Inspired Fish Tacos:
- Fish. You can use any white fish! I typically have frozen cod in my freezer so that’s what I used for this recipe. However, fresh halibut from the fishmonger would be delicious.
- Slow Cooker. I adore my all-clad slow cooker because it has a warm setting to keep the fish or any protein from cooking to long once it’s done.
- Toppings. This is the fun part. I like to have a mixture of crunch, cream, and spice in my tacos. Definitely try cabbage, jalapeños, and sour cream!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make these fish tacos on the grill?
Yes! If you want to grill the cod that would be equally as delicious! Just make sure it’s over high heat and remember to not over cook the fish. Should only take a few minutes per side!
Where did you find Achiote Paste?
Most major grocery store chains carry this paste. If not, good old Amazon has it!
Can I serve these as fish bowls instead on tortillas?
You bet! To keep these low-carb just replace the tortilla with either cauliflower rice or shredded lettuce!
Yucatan-Inspired Fish Tacos:
More Delicious Taco Recipes to Enjoy:
- Sesame Beef Tacos with Quick Pickled Onion
- Garlic Cajun Taco with Citrus Lime Slaw
- Al Pastor Baked Chicken Tacos with Shishito Pepper Salsa
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Tacos with Texas Caviar
Yucatan Inspired Fish Tacos
- 2 lbs Fresh or frozen skinless cod
- 3 tbsp Orange juice
- 2 tbsp White vinegar
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Achiote paste (or less if want less heat)
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Mexican oregano or regular oregano
- salt and pepper
- Flour tortillas, for serving
- Shredded purple cabbage, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Jalapeños, for garnish
- If you are using frozen fish make sure it's completely thawed. Next, cut the fish into four serving-size pieces. Rinse the fish and pat dry.
- Place the fish into the slow cooker and pour the mixture over fish. Cook the fish on low for 3 hours or high 1 1/2 hours or until fish flakes easily.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon fish onto tortillas. Garnish with toppings and enjoy!